Invasion of Udeo - Deadzone kampanja (eng, kuvia, Grande Finale)

Voit lähettää oman kertomuksesi omista sotakokemuksistasi. Kuvat taistoista ovat raporteissa aina ehdottoman suotavia.
Mysterous
Viesti:

Invasion of Udeo - Deadzone kampanja (eng, kuvia, Grande Finale)

Viesti Kirjoittaja Mysterous » Ke 21.01.2015 22:17

Kuva

Mission 1 - First Contact
Interception Team 5 has successfully made a first contact with the alien forces. Time to meet this new threat face to face.

Kuva
Enforcer Strike Team, led by Sergeant SK-RF-79. Support is given by Sniper SK-MJ-90 and Missile Launcher user SK-HI-90. CQC is handled by Assault Enforcer SK-AS-47 and suppression fire by Tactical Enforcers SK-TH-56 and SK-HA-60.
Strike Team has been assigned with assassination mission, they are to cut down and if possible, capture the enemy leaders.

Kuva
Alien Strike Team (uses Plague rules). Orange caped ones are Ethereals (Plague Commanders), green-purple ones are Mutons (Stage 3A and Stage 3A machine gunner), purple thing on larger base is Celatid (Plague Swarm) and there are also some Mutant dogs (Stage 3D dogs). Their mission was Quietly Does It, which means that they tried to stay alive and escape from the battlefield through opponents deployment zone.

Kuva
Situation around the end of turn 1. Both forces had advanced to better positions. I can't remember if there were any casualties yet, but Celatid had been suppressed by Blaze Away fire from other Tactical Enforcer.
On turn 2 the situation went quite interesting. SK-MJ-90 managed to move into position indicated by arrow and use pistol to shoot down nearby Ethereal that happened to be the Commander of Plague Strike team. Victory Points jumped up to 8 by that action, 2 more for victory.
SK-HI-90 on the other hand went to Overwatch and rolled 2 or 3 triples on his overwatch tests as Celatid closed in, shooting it multiple times and managing to injure it. His Overwatch frenzy was finally ended by successful Blaze Away from a Muton.

Kuva
Vengeful Mutant dog rushed towards exposed SK-MJ-90 and sunk it's acidic teeth into his leg. No damage was dealt, but SK-MJ-90 wasn't able to shoot because of it.

Kuva
Situation somewhere on round 2. Celatid had managed to engage the Enforcers around the center area and more Mutons were closing in.

Kuva
SK-HA-60 tried to get Mutant dog away from SK-MJ-90 by throwing a grenade at it, trusting that his comrades armor would protect him. Plan went wrong as the dog kept it's hold of SK-MJ-90's leg as they both were pinned by the explosion.

Kuva
On the other end of the battlefield, SK-HI-90 had been attacked by a Muton. Doge must have given a good fortune, as he survived this encounter without a scratch.

Kuva
After his... Unorthodox and failed method of help, SK-HA-60 redeemed himself by jumping on higher level of a building and sniping out other Ethereal, taking Victory points into 12 and winning the game.

Mission 2 - Escape from planet
After tremendous success on their first mission against aliens, Interception Team 5 was eager to meet their foes again. Their wishes were answered in only 2 days when a landing Alien vessel was spotted on the radars. Enforcers quickly arrived at the location and engaged Aliens in a fight.

Kuva
For this mission SK-RF-79 and SK-HI-90 were not available, but Engineer SK-HK-89 and Recon Drone SK-REC-01 replaced them. SK-HK-89 did also bring 2 Sentry Guns on the battlefield (they needed to be deployed during the game).
Mission was Dominate, which meant that Enforcers were trying to reclaim the area by controlling each of the 3 objectives on the battlefield.

Kuva
Alien forces were mostly unchanged. Mutation of one injured Mutant dog had went haywire and it had been turned into that blob on the foreground.
Their mission was Swarm, which meant that they were only trying to escape from the battlefield through opponents deployment zone. Background wise Enforcers had cut them away from their space craft and their only real option was to breakthrough. Failure would mean that they'd become stranded on the planet and that Corporate forces could study their technology by stealing their ship.

Kuva
First turn started okay for the Enforcers, until Celatid managed to rush with command actions and move card into their positions, engaging SK-HK-89 and injuring SK-AS-47.

Kuva
With the sacrifice of SK-AS-47, SK-HK-89 managed to escape from the Celatid into nearby cube (SK-AS-47 recovered after the battle). SK-MJ-90 moved down to get a good clear shot at the Celatid, only managing to injure it.

Kuva
I'm not entirely sure if that Mutant dog is trying to rip SK-HK-89 apart or being taught to give paw.

Kuva
In the end our Tactical Enforcers saved the day again. A muton picked up an item from the ground, but it was booby trapped and ended in a fiery explosion. SK-HA-60 didn't let the opportunity slip away and fiercely Blazed Away at the survivors.
SK-TH-56 jumped on the roof and took a well placed shot at the Celatid, finally killing it (IIRC it actually recovered, but blood effect looked just too good in there).
This was too much for the Alien forces and they decided to concede the battle and flee from the battlefield and go hiding on the planet. Enforcers managed to find their intact ship and claim it for study.

Kuva

Aftermath: These two games were pleasant to play (not least because I managed to decimate my opponent). It was pleasure to see that my Skull Corps Enforcers are worth their name :)
Although I managed to win both games, my opponent still gave a good fight and especially 2nd mission made me worry. Had that booby trap been a dud, or Aliens pressed on regardless of their casualties, the VP (and Reputation) situation at the end could have been very different.
I think that Infiltration missions are the harder ones and it sucks that my opponent drew 2 of those in a row. We decided to draw our next missions for next session already and by the way he acted, I don't think it is a 3rd Infiltration in a row.
This campaign is only at it's beginning anyway and both sides have attained experience and new ranks for their troops. I'm interested to see how this situation turns out.
Oh yeah, this might become my first DZ campaign in which all models are painted. Although Zombies might break that streak (damned Zombies!)

My opponent keeps his own blog about games that he has played. Link to his side of view is here
Viimeksi muokannut Mysterous, Ke 02.12.2015 16:03. Yhteensä muokattu 1 kertaa.
Maalausblogi taas pystyssä.

Mysterous
Viesti:

Re: Invasion of Udeo - Deadzone kampanja (eng, kuvia, ongoin

Viesti Kirjoittaja Mysterous » To 26.03.2015 14:47

Kuva

Mission 3 - Terror attack
Sudden SOS from larger settlement meant a new mission for Interception team 5. They must stop the alien force and discover their secret behind this attack.

Kuva
Tactical Enforcers SK-TH-56 and SK-HA-60 got a little downtime as SK-MG-59 and SK-AG-16 stepped in their place. This was also the first mission for Thermal Rifle wielding SK-JV-60.

Kuva
Enforcer deployment zone is indicated by blue and alien deployment by red. In the middle of the area are three eggs that Enforcers try to capture (mission card was Zulu). You can spot plague zombies here and there.

Kuva
It didn't take too long for the zombies to attack their masters. One particularly gallant fellow jumped down from 3rd level of a building on the top of Sectopod (strider) and survived from the fall! Zombies constantly pressed on the alien forces, giving them hard time at escaping from the area.

Kuva
Enforcers on the other hand were just as much stuck in the situation. They quickly moved into safety, jumping on top of buildings or moving out of sight of the zombies. They managed to stay alive and kill some of the insane creatures, but they really weren't capable of securing their main objective.
In an effort to redirect the attention of the zombies, SK-MG-59 threw a grenade towards the aliens. While the explosion managed to make alien life even harder, it didn't open up any real opportunity for securing the eggs.

Kuva
The situation went uneventful for some time, but at last aliens had had enough. They started closing in towards the Enforcers with all that they have left. Celatid (Plague Swarm) managed to incapacitate missile launcher wielding SK-HI-90. Nearby SK-MG-59 and SK-AS-47 answered to this quickly, destroying the alien life form.

Rest of the aliens fell one by one under the constant assaults by the zombies. After last muton was killed, Enforcers saw that the situation was unsalvageable and decided to withdraw from the area, calling for air strikes to wipe out these monsters.

Aftermath: This game was played quite a while ago (over a month!) so I'm a little bit fuzzy about the details. It wasn't the best game of DZ I've had, mainly because both sides were botched down by endless zombies. My opponent was really unfortunate and drew the 3rd and last infiltration based mission from plague mission cards, maybe his objectives will be something else in the future. As earlier, his point of view can be read here.

Mysterous
Viesti:

Re: Invasion of Udeo - Deadzone kampanja (eng, kuvia, ongoing)

Viesti Kirjoittaja Mysterous » La 11.07.2015 19:28

Kuva

Mission 4 - They're out there
Alien vessel was shot down and Interception Team 5 was quick to land nearby it. Their mission was to approach the crashing site quietly and retrieve anything that might be useful.
In this mission my opponent AND I were trying to infiltrate through the battlefield. Kinda fitting after 3 games of only my opponent infiltrating through the table.

Kuva
Alien soldier, classified as "Muton" was able to sprint close with Tactical Enforcer, taking him down in deadly CQC. Alien faced a quick end, shot by other enforcers.

Kuva
Although alien forces were fast, Enforcers managed to keep them surpressed by sheer weight of fire (blaze aways pictured). Nearly all of the alien models were pinned or surpressed at some point, partially thanks to recon drones spotter ability.

Kuva
But when the aliens managed to pass through the bullet hell, results were devastating. At least 3 Enforcers were taken down in melee. If it was not for the quick extraction flight from top of the building (me drawing last card and ending the game), the squad might have been completely annihilated.

Mission 5 - Purge the alien
A squad of aliens have kept city center under their control for too many hours. Interception Team 5 is sent to take completely care of the problem just when the aliens are starting to retreat.

Kuva
This game was quite straightforward, not a small thanks for that 2 storey tower in upper right corner. It was a really good vantage point for my sniper and killing aliens was made easy by it. I tried (successfully I think) to fool my opponent by pretending that my mission was to control objectives.

Kuva
Two Enforcers taking out a Muton.

Mission 6 - Ambush
Just after cleansing city center of aliens, Interception Team 5 got usual task from another part of the city. Apartment block 73 had fleeing aliens, whose escape routes must be cut. Little did the enforcers know that this was an ambush and the real goal of aliens was to kill every super soldier they saw.

Kuva
In this game my mission was to actually capture objectives. I thought it would be easy if I could survive the first onslaught.

Kuva
But my opponent was quite clever or I was just ignorant. The building pictured here managed to hide two or three models from my sight and I just didn't at any point bother to check it out. At least one enfocer got eaten by celatid (Plague Swarm) that sprinted out of the building. Fortunately I was able to recover from those surprises and claim my objectives.

Kuva
Nail to the coffin was when alien mercenary (Wrath of Judwan) went berserk on enemy Ethereal leader and incapacitated his paymaster.

Aftermath: Three scenarios played, from which I remember only something. My opponents battle reports were a big help when writing my own and I just noticed that he has somekind of gag with naming them :D.
Oh yeah, his 4th and 5th missions were also infiltration, quite unlucky!!! I might propose some alterations to last three missions after next game, invading Cydonia would be nice if I managed to get terrain for that.

Mysterous
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja Mysterous » Ke 07.10.2015 10:26

Kuva

Mission 7 – Take and hold
An alien force has set up defensive positions in the middle of ruins. lnterception Team 5 has been send to drive those aliens away and take that area back.

Kuva
For this game I decided to take a little bit different kind of Strike Team. I used Engineer SK-HK-89 and his 2 Sentry Guns. To support Sentry Guns I took Recon Drone SK-REC-01 to give some extra dice for Blaze Away actions. This was also the first time I wielded Enforcer Strider SK-BG-01. Troop choices were Tactical Enforcer SK-HA-60 and Assault Enforcer SK-SS-46.
My mission was to capture objectives (three black 8-sided pieces), but as you can see, aliens didn’t wait for long until starting to Blaze Away the heck out of my forces.

Kuva
Alien forces had good Blaze Away position, comfortably inside ruins. Those awesome zombie conversions served as fresh recruit Mutons (Plague S3A).

Kuva
SK-REC-01 took good positions to see as many enemies as possible, while SK-SS-46 tried to carry Sentry Gun to correct position so that SK-HK-89 could later set it up.

Kuva
But he was greeted by absurd amount of blaze away. SK-HA-60 came into aid and managed to suppress some aliens.

Kuva
SK-HK-89 arrived next to SK-SS-46 and grapped Sentry Gun from him, but before he could set it up, he too was pinned down. Seriously this was one game of bullet storms.

Kuva
I had discovered that my main objective was in the center. I would have to have only my model in same cube with it and no enemy models in any adjacent cubes. Really hard to do when there are aliens lurking just behind a wall next to that objective!
With the aid of single Sentry Gun SK-BG-01 had no problem at holding right flank. On left flank Aliens managed to hurt SK-HA-60 and pin him down, while preventing me from completing my objective.

Kuva
SK-SS-46 stood up and hurried to protect his comrade. Game ended when my opponent showed that his mission was to survive long enough with over half of his forces intact.

Aftermath: Wh.. wha… what is this? First victory to the aliens instead of Enforcers? Gotta admit my opponent pulled this out very good. I got a little bit too cocky and decided to take a Strike Team that I didn’t think was best for this situation.
I also forgot that I actually can deploy Sentry Guns at the start of the game (it’s in the FAQ) and out of 2 identical capture missions, I chose the worse one for this situation (X-ray instead of Yankee I think).

Mission 8 – FUBAR
Interceptor Team 5 was ordered to hold position and prevent any aliens from reaching the civil population.

Kuva
Hold mission, aka. Kill and Survive. I thought that this one would be easy. Took Sniper SK-MJ-90, three Tactical Enforcers SK-HA-60 (from last mission), SK-AG-16 and SK-MG-59 to add some bulk into my forces. Rocket Launcher SK-HI-90 was cheaper than Thermal Rifle so I took him. Assault Enforcer SK-SS-46 was there to handle any enemies that got too close and SK-REC-01 was supposed to boost Blaze Away for Tactical Enforcers.
I think that Alien player got the first turn. His Heavy Plasma mutons started to blaze away at my positions, with some success, but I managed to shoot him down on my own turn. My biggest concern was Celatid (Plague Swarm), which I tried to pin down with SK-HA-60.

Kuva
And then after 2 turns I think, the hell broke loose. Celatid managed to move 5 cubes in a single turn (command action + natural speed + move card) and along with two Mutons started to tear my forces up. I’m not sure if he managed to get enough Victory Points for win or if I myself just threw the towel in the ring. Anyway, massacre victory for the Aliens.

Aftermath: Well, that was quick, dirty and humbling experience. Truly shows that Plague forces are supposed to be played as melee force. Didn’t like how quickly they ripped apart so many Enforcers, but after Aliens had been taking the short end of the stick for 6 games, I think this was justified.
Two more games to go, we try to make them a little bit more special. Interesting to see how this campaign will end.

Edit: Oh yeah, Alien thoughts can be read here as usual.

Mysterous
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja Mysterous » Ke 02.12.2015 16:02

Kuva

MISSION 9 - UDEO OR BUST
Interception Team 5 has been assigned to capture the Alien base.

Notes: For epic ending of the campaign we decided to play one big game, instead of 2 smaller ones. To make fighting change for Aliens, we decided to triple any Victory Points gained on the field.

KuvaMy Strike Team consisted of 7 models. 3 normal Enforcers. 1 Sergeant, Thermal Rifle, Recon Drone and Strider.

KuvaDeployment of Enforcers. I placed strider on right because it would be closer to Celatid (Plague Swarm) and could hurt it badly with its Irresistible Genling 88 HLS-X Rifle.

KuvaAlien forces had their own little base constructed from Star Wars tiles. One tile is one cube or if divided by rubber band, 2 cubes. Both entrances and globe (or brain as my opponent thought) are the objectives needed to be captured by the Enforcers.

KuvaChrysalid and one alien dog started in the plague zombie containment laboratory. Which would be really valuable for enforcers to take.

KuvaAs usual, first turn went with both forces closing in. Aliens wanted to stay tightly within their base.

KuvaBut it didn't take long for some action to happen. My enforcers threw grenade and fired towards enemies at northern entrance, killing some Sectoids and Mutons I think. Aliens threw smoke grenade to help their advance.
With the help of Silacoid (dog), Blaster Launcher alien (Plague HMG) kept opening and closing door, making a shot in between. Chrysalid assaulted my Sergeant which I had brought a cube too close. Stupid mistake from stupid me.
Celatid (Plague Swarm) would soon assault my Strider and boy those things are fast and durable, as you can see soon.

KuvaWhile all the action was happening, one of the Sectoids was enjoying some alien entertainment. It literally stayed at the computer for few rounds.

KuvaChrysalid managed to kill my Sergeant, delivering a blow to my activations. Two enforcers from upper window delivered short response, killing it.

KuvaBut for one kill I got one devastating loss. My Enforcer tried to pin Celatid down, but failed and that creature got my Strider (that had fired 0 shots) was broken by it's Celatidness. Enforcers continued to shoot at that Celatid with anything they could, threw a grenade too...

Kuva...but still without any real results. That Celatid survived everything, climbed up, killed Enforcer and destroyed Recon drone. After that sectoid psykers (Chovar) boosted it with their psychic abilities and made it assault at my last surviving model, killing it. I lost the battle, 13 vs 1 (x3 = 39 vs 3).
This cost me the victory of the campaign, for my opponent was able to climb up from 45 Total Reputation to whopping 81. My total was 78.

Kuva

Aftermath: Well, it took almost a year but the campaign has finally ended. This game might be my swan song for first version of Deadzone, because alpha rules of new version should get released today or this week.
Campaign system of DZ1 isn't perfect or complete, it serves as a basis and although we had many house rules with this, it would've needed much greater reconstruction.
I was surprised how the Enforcers held and were capable of maiming Alien Forces during the first scenarios. Reintroduction of Celatid and my stupid mistakes of not taking it's speed into account were greatest blows to my forces. Had it been killed in that last game or become pinned that one time, it all would have gone very differently.
Anyway, here is the Alien view of this last game and here is my Roster Sheet at the end of the campaign:
Kuva

Vastaa Viestiin

Palaa sivulle “Taisteluraportit”